Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Today I found myself pondering the social hierarchy of ducks.

I think ducks are adorable. 

Not these:


That ugly dude right there is called a muskogee duck.  We have too many of these things in Florida.  They poop all over the sidewalk.  They are not cute.

No, these are the ducks I'm talking about:




These ducks are friggen cute.  There are a few that live by the lake at work.  At first I thought there were only two and I called them Ben and Jerry.  Then I realized that there were three and now I don't have names for them anymore.

I have this strange habit of naming ducks when I meet them in the world.  It's just one of many quirks that I have, but we'll get to those later.

Lately, in an effort to enjoy the weather while it's still enjoyable, I've been spending my lunch breaks reading by the lake.   Today I had trouble paying attention to my book because I kept getting distracted by these damn ducks. 

I watched the three white ducks walking together as a group while the one muskogee duck that also lives by the lake swam around all alone.  When he finally got the nerve to walk up to them, one of them chased the poor bastard away.  A few minutes later, he gave it another try, but the best he could do was follow a few feet behind them while they strutted ahead, stretching their long white necks as if to say, "We are basically swans, we are so pretty, and you are so lucky to be in our presence."  Poor, ugly, red-faced muskogee.  He looked more like a turkey than a duck.  If you could look beyond his face, you'd be able to see that he actually had pretty green feathers, much more interesting than the plain white ones of the other ducks.  But how many people care enough to look that deeply into anyone or anything?  Not many.

The white duck clique followed around by the wannabe muskogee outcast.  High school drama right there at the lake during my lunch break.

1 comment: